Sunday, January 12, 2014

Academic Excellence and Life Long Continuing Education

Academic Excellence and Life Long Continuing Education


v  Research and Development in nation's leading industries, full thesis and defense
v  Research: Digital Radar System in Bharat Electronics Limited (BEL), a Public Limited Company in India (similar to aerospace and defense laboratories in USA), 1969 to 1972.
v  First scientist in Indian history and one of the first few in the world, to use 54 and 74 series integrated circuits in large system development.
v  I was the first scientist to build digital radar technology in India, and one of the first few in the world.
v  During those years worldwide, only NAND gates were available. I imported these integrated circuits from Signetics (Intel had not started!).
v  When I presented my work to India’s leading scientists, they were all eager to touch sample spare IC I had in my hand.
v  They were 14 pin (and later 16 pin) ICs, called the dual – in line (DIL) packages. I had to build all systems on single layer PC boards, using ONLY NAND gates.
v  There were no adders, half adders, memory ICs etc.
v  I built “wired NAND gate memories” all mathematical functions using NAND gates.
v  I had to pioneer every aspect from import logistics, incoming inspection testing, PC layout for ICs, subsystem and system development, test.
v  I was my own guide in all aspects of research, being a pioneer. 
v  This was the equivalent of Mysore University Ph.D. program, as it had all components and aspects: Course Work, Research, Development, Thesis and Defense.

v  Please refer to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/7400_series to read more on the history of 54 and 74 series of NAND gates.

No comments:

Post a Comment